Cycling the River Loire Cycle Route
The Cycling the River Loire Cicerone guide book (2022 edition) follows the the Loire, France’s longest river, from its source in the Massif Central to the Atlantic.
The 1061km route incorporates the popular, waymarked Loire à Vélo and takes in extinct volcanos, vineyards and châteaux. Predominantly downhill or flat, the route utilises mostly cycle paths and minor roads.
The Loire Cycle Route starts at the source of the River Loire in the Massif Central mountains of central France and finishes at the Atlantic opposite St Nazaire. It descends past extinct volcanoes, crater lakes and deep gorges before joining EuroVelo route 6, followed by the fully waymarked Loire à Vélo, France’s most popular cycle trail. Following the river downstream in 26 stages, the route is generally downhill or level, often on dedicated traffic-free cycle tracks.
Packed with a wealth of useful information – from practical planning advice to fascinating insights about the river and its surroundings – the guidebook features detailed route descriptions and informative mapping. Details of facilities and places to stay, and a French glossary, are also included.
The route goes through the heart of France as the Loire becomes the royal river, bounded by extravagant châteaux, fields of Charolais cattle and vineyards. It passes through historic cities like Orléans and Tours, continuing past Angers and France’s fourth largest city Nantes to finish on the Atlantic coast.
It really is a great route, and you can read a little more about it here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/france/articles/cycling-in-the-loire-valley/
These are the stages shown in the guide book:
- Stage 1 Gerbier de Jonc to Goudet
- Stage 2 Goudet to Le Puy-en-Velay
- Stage 3 Le Puy-en-Velay to Retournac
- Stage 4 Retournac to Aurec-sur-Loire
- Stage 5 Aurec-sur-Loire to Feurs
- Stage 6 Feurs to Roanne
- Stage 7 Roanne to Digoin
- Stage 8 Digoin to Bourbon-Lancy
- Stage 9 Bourbon-Lancy to Decize
- Stage 10 Decize to Nevers
- Stage 11 Nevers to La Charité-sur-Loire
- Stage 12 La Charité-sur-Loire to Sancerre
- Stage 13 Sancerre to Briare
- Stage 14 Briare to Sully-sur-Loire
- Stage 15 Sully-sur-Loire to Orléans
- Stage 16 Orléans to Beaugency
- Stage 17 Beaugency to Blois
- Stage 18 Blois to Amboise
- Stage 19 Amboise to Tours
- Stage 20 Tours to Bréhémont
- Stage 21 Bréhémont to Saumur
- Stage 22 Saumur to Angers
- Stage 23 Angers to Montjean-sur-Loire
- Stage 24 Montjean-sur-Loire to Ancenis
- Stage 25 Ancenis to Nantes
- Stage 26 Nantes to St Brevin-les-Pins (St Nazaire)
Cycling the River Loire – Cicerone Guide Book
Author: Mike Wells
No of Pages: 256
Page Size: 116 x 172 mm